Terms and Conditions for the CarSupermarket.com Standard 12-month warranty (covering Diesel & Petrol engine (ICE), Electric & Hybrid Vehicles)
What should I do if my Vehicle breaks down?
• If Your Vehicle breaks down, You should call the showroom where You collected the car, a list of contact numbers is included in section 10. All repairs will require prior approval from Us and must be reported within 14 days of the fault occurring.
Can I use a local repairer should I break down?
• Where the repair is completed by CarSupermarket.com all costs are settled directly, so it is always better to use Your supplying dealer (the branch you received the car from) or another CarSupermarket.com dealer.
• Should You need to use another repairer, either local to You or because the breakdown occurs when You are travelling away, You will need to follow the claims process and make sure that You keep the invoice and any other documents We require to reimburse You. It is likely that You will need to pay for the repair work and claim the monies back from Us.
Where should I get my vehicle serviced?
• It is a condition of this warranty that the Vehicle is fully serviced in accordance with the manufacturer’s recommendations by a VAT-registered repairer. Therefore, it is always best to bring Your Vehicle back to the supplying dealer, or another CarSupermarket.com dealer.
• If You are unsure as to when to get Your Vehicle serviced, You will be able to find the servicing schedule in Your Vehicle documents, otherwise, You can always call Your supplying dealer.
Is the CarSupermarket.com Standard Warranty transferrable to a new owner?
• Should You sell Your Vehicle and there is still cover remaining on Your CarSupermarket.com Warranty, this is not transferrable.
Keeping this document?
• We recommend that You keep this CarSupermarket.com Warranty document in Your Vehicle as it contains the telephone numbers You need should You break down.
You are eligible for cover under this agreement if at the Start Date:
• You are residing in the Territorial Limits; and
• Your Vehicle is used for social, domestic or pleasure purposes, Class 1 (driving to and from Your place of work) and Class 2 Business Use (excluding Commercial Travelling).
Please note: The following vehicles are not eligible for cover:
- customised or modified vehicles, motorcycles, scooters, three wheeled vehicles, kit-cars, quad bikes, motor homes, light commercial vehicles, delivery vehicles, panel vans and vehicles exceeding 3500kg.
- vehicles used for hire or reward (for example taxis, self-drive hire or driving schools), delivery courier or a vehicle used in any sort of rally, speed testing, 4x4 off-roading, racing or any kind of competition or trial.
In the agreement, some words have defined meanings, these are shown below:
Approved Repairer: means the person who is authorised by Us to carry out the repair work to the Vehicle.
Battery Degradation: means the gradual reduction of battery performance over the Vehicle’s life cycle.
Breakdown: means a mechanical or electrical failure, puncture, or accident, which immediately renders Your Vehicle immobile.
Commercial Travelling: means couriering, deliveries or door to door sales of any kind.
Drive Motor Fatigue: (For electric vehicles only) means the gradual reduction of torque, horsepower or Vehicle performance over a period of time that is not the result of a Mechanical Breakdown.
General Wear and Tear: means the gradual reduction in performance and/or the gradual failure of a component due to the age and mileage of the Vehicle.
ICE: means Internal Combustion Engine, an engine that generates power using fossil fuels such as petrol or diesel.
ICME: means the Institute of Chartered Mechanical Engineers manual as used by the Motor Industry to establish labour repair times.
Maximum Benefit: £2,000 per claim up to the value of the vehicle.
Mechanical Breakdown: means the failure of a part, causing it to suddenly stop working, for a reason other than negligence.
Period of Cover: this is for 12 months from the date You took possession of Your Vehicle.
Start Date: means the date on which You took possession of Your Vehicle.
Territorial Limits: This means the region within which this agreement is valid, being the United Kingdom, the Isle of Man and the Channel Islands.
You, Your: as detailed on your invoice from Us.
Vehicle: means only the vehicle as identified on the invoice from Us.
Please ensure You read carefully and fully understand the terms and conditions relating to the CarSupermarket.com Warranty.
ICE Vehicles/Electric Vehicles
This warranty covers all mechanical and electrical parts (including labour costs to fit them) against Mechanical Breakdown, subject to the exclusions of this agreement.
This warranty will cover the Mechanical Breakdown where the cause of failure is General Wear and Tear for vehicles less than 6 years old or 60,000 miles at the point of claim.
The cover under the warranty only applies if these terms and conditions are fully met.
This warranty also covers the following.
• Crankshaft front seal; camshaft oil seal; auxiliary shaft oil seal; gearbox rear seal; drive shafts seals; differential pinion seal.
• Any oil seal the engine or gearbox needs as part of a repair under this warranty.
• Oils, oil filter and antifreeze are included only if it is essential to replace them as part of an agreed claim under this warranty.
• If any of the parts covered fail, and this damages the casing, it will also be covered as part of an agreed claim under this warranty.
• In the event of a valid claim, We will pay up to £60 (including VAT) towards re-gassing.
• Factory fitted radio/CD player (single CD versions only).
Catalytic Converters and Diesel Particulate Filters
• Catalytic Converters and Diesel Particulate Filters are covered for Mechanical Breakdown. This does not include the cleaning of fuel lines, filters, carburetors, pumps and the replacement of catalytic convertors damaged from the use of contaminated or incorrect fuel or accidental or impact damage
For Electric Vehicles only
• We will provide a contribution of up to £1,000 towards the replacement of the main electric Vehicle battery, where the failure is not caused by general Battery Degradation.
The following specifically listed parts are covered against any Mechanical Breakdown occurring during the Period of Cover, provided that the terms and conditions of this warranty are fully complied with. Any part not listed is specifically excluded.
For Hybrid Vehicles only
• The rocker assembly, including hydraulic followers, inlet and exhaust valves (not burnt valves), springs and guides, buckets, shims, collets, cam journals and cam bearings, cylinder head (not cracked, de-coking or porous heads), cylinder head gasket (except skimming or pressure testing), camshaft and followers, timing gears and chains (excluding timing chain or belt tensioners, connected electrical devices and guides), push rods, oil pumps, pistons and rings, cylinder bores (excluding cracked or porous bores), con rods, gudgeon pins and bearings, crankshaft and bearings, inlet manifold, flywheel and ring gear, crank main bearings, crank big end bearings and con rod small end bearings, main journal cap and big end caps (not including the crank balance shaft and drive unit). Timing belts are covered as long as they have been changed in line with the manufacturer’s recommendations, You will need to provide proof of this.
Power Split Device (PSD)
• Internal gears, shafts, bearings and bushes (excluding oil leaks).
• Internal crown wheel and pinion, gears, shafts, bearings and bushes, thrust washers and spacers.
Silent Chain Reduction Gears
• Chain, Internal gears, shafts, bearings and bushes (excluding oil leaks).
• Drive shafts, including constant velocity joints, universal joints and couplings (not gaiters).
• Front and rear wheel bearings.
• Universal joints and couplings.
Primary and Secondary Electric Motors
Fuel Injection System
• Throttle body, airflow meter, idle control valve, cold start valve, warm up regulator, overrun cut off valve, throttle potentiometer, fuel accumulator, pressure regulator, map sensor (expect injectors and heater plugs).
Engine Cooling System
• Radiator, oil cooler, heater matrix, water pump, viscous fan coupling, thermostat and thermostat housing.
Steering (including power assisted steering)
• Steering rack and pinion (not gaiters), steering box, power steering rack and pump, and idler box.
Front and Rear Suspension
• Hydrolastic displacers and hydropneumatics spheres, coil springs, upper and lower wishbones and ball and swivel joints.
• Brake master cylinder, wheel cylinders, restrictor valve, brake calliper seals and servo.
• Window and sunroof motors, electric window switches, sunroof switch, central locking motors, heater fan motor, indicator flasher relay, distributor, front and rear windscreen wiper and washer motors, thermostatically controlled radiator fan motor, horn and multi-function stalk switch.
Engine and Hybrid Management
• Engine and Hybrid Drive electronic control unit (ECU). Excluding visual display unit, controls, switches, wiring, sensors and inverters.
• Oils, oil filter and anti-freeze are included only if it is essential to replace them because of the failure of a part which is included under this warranty.
• If any of the included parts fail and this damages the casing, it will also be included.
Applicable to ALL Warranty Products (For Electric Vehicles please also refer to the additional exclusions)
Parts not Covered
• Cracked or porous cylinder heads and blocks; burnt valves; carbon deposits; skimming or pressure testing.
• Body, paint, glass, interior and exterior trim.
• Wheels and tyres.
• Airbag and control system.
• Electrical wiring and wiring looms.
• (For Hybrid Warranty only) Battery, wiring, inverter faults, damage or failure.
• Seizure or corrosion of brakes/braking components.
• Any items or parts that should be regularly replaced during routine maintenance, including items such as plugs, HT leads, brake pads. Discs, drums and shoes, clutch facings, cables, wiper blades, V belts, hoses, pipes, light bulbs and units, batteries, exhaust systems.
• Removable multimedia.
This warranty does not apply if the vehicle:
• is used for any kind of time trial, competition or race; or
• was customised or modified after the warranty Start Date; or
• is used for hire or reward (for example, taxis, self-drive hire vehicles or driving- school vehicles).
This warranty does not cover damage caused by:
• neglect, rust and corrosion;
• any foreign substance getting into or onto a part;
• using a grade of fuel not recommended by the manufacturer or using inadequate or incorrect antifreeze protection;
• not keeping the Vehicle in a roadworthy condition, including maintaining oil and coolant levels;
• not servicing the Vehicle in line with Section 10 (Servicing requirements);
• the effects of overheating, even if caused by a part covered by this warranty;
• freezing or abuse;
• the Vehicle being overloaded, according to the law or the manufacturer’s recommendations;
• fire, self-ignition, lightning, earthquake, explosion, frost, storm, flood, water damage, theft or attempted theft, vandalism, aircraft or other flying devices (or articles dropped from them), or any other extreme cause;
• an accident, collision or objects striking the Vehicle;
• any repair, alteration or modification made to the Vehicle, that was made outside of the manufacturers recommended guidelines;
• improper repair or maintenance, including the use of fluids, parts or accessories other than those specified as suitable for use since purchase of the Vehicle;
• towing the Vehicle;
• improper towing procedures, whilst recovering the Vehicle;
• driving over any uneven or rough road surfaces, including but not limited to, potholes, curbs, unfinished roads, debris or any other obstacles.
This warranty also does not cover the following
• Failure due to General Wear and Tear (unless the Vehicle has not exceeded 6 years old or 60,000 miles at the point of claim), which includes but is not limited to:
- The gradual loss of engine compression so that the valves or rings need repairing or replacing;
- The gradual increase in the amount of oil used, as a result of normal driving.
• Claims arising as a result of negligence or intentional damage (including continuing to drive the Vehicle when it is not mechanically sound).
• Parts which have not been fitted correctly.
• Parts which are of faulty manufacture or design, or which are recalled for repair or replacement by the manufacturer.
• Parts not fitted as standard or an optional extra by the manufacturer, unless We have agreed otherwise beforehand.
• Damage to parts not covered by this warranty or any resulting damage to the covered parts.
• The cost of diagnosis or testing.
• The amount of time allowed for labour will be in line with the ICME standard repair times.
• Routine servicing or repairs.
• Any parts which were found to need repair or replacing during routine servicing.
• Any loss, damage, liability or injury arising directly or indirectly as a result of a covered part failing.
• Any damage to Your Vehicle’s hardware or software, or any loss or harm to any personal information or data uploaded to Your Vehicle, including unauthorised access to any Vehicle data or software from any other device not approved by the manufacture. Viruses, bugs, malware or any other form of cyber-attack are also excluded from cover.
• The effects of poor repairs, or faults that were present when You bought the Vehicle.
• Payment for repairs costing more than the limits shown in the Maximum Benefit or as otherwise restricted by this warranty.
• Repairs costing more than the current Vehicle valuation as listed in Glass’s Guide.
• Any repairs carried out without prior approval from Us.
• Any liability for death, bodily injury or damage to other property or any loss caused directly or indirectly by the claim or event giving rise to a claim under this warranty how so ever caused.
• Damage caused by war risks, sonic booms or nuclear radiation.
In addition, the Electric Vehicle Warranty does not provide cover for the following
• Drive Motor Fatigue.
• The gradual reduction of battery performance over the Vehicle’s life cycle. Otherwise known as Battery Degradation.
• Wiring harnesses.
• External EV Charging cables and charging units.
• Electrical power units.
• Removeable data storage for any part of the multimedia system.
• Remote control units for in car entertainment, headphones and discs.
• Vehicle control systems - Software malfunction or routine maintenance updates.
• Upgrade or revision to manufacturer system software and firmware.
• Auxiliary vehicle batteries.
• The results of any inadequate charging procedures being followed or charging with equipment not recommended by the manufacturer or using inadequate or incorrect charging equipment.
• Using the Vehicle as a stationary power source.
• In the event the battery is replaced, this warranty will only cover for a battery, equal to the energy capacity of the original battery at the time of the claim. Therefore, You may be asked to pay a specified amount towards the replacement should it be a brand-new replacement battery that is required.
There are certain obligations that You must fulfil in order to ensure that Your warranty remains valid:
• You must submit Your claim within 14 days following a Mechanical Breakdown.
• We will not accept any claim where the repair has not started within 14 days of the relevant fault being reported to Us
• You must use all reasonable care to maintain the Vehicle in an efficient and roadworthy condition and to take all reasonable precautions to prevent or minimise loss or damage.
• You must give Us true and complete information.
• You must agree to comply with Our reasonable requests.
• You must follow the prescribed claims procedure as explained in this document.
• You must keep to the conditions of the warranty to have the full protection of the warranty. If You do not keep to them, We may cancel the warranty, refuse to deal with Your claim or reduce the amount of any claim payment.
Duty of care
You must not drive Your Vehicle after any damage or incident if this could cause further damage to Your Vehicle.
If You (or anyone acting of Your behalf) make a claim which is false or fraudulent in any way or support a claim with any false or fraudulent document or device, this warranty will be void.
Please refer to Section 9
Before you bought the Vehicle, We will have checked it to make sure that the parts covered by this warranty were in a good condition.
We will not make or pay for repairs costing more than the Maximum Benefit or as otherwise restricted by this warranty.
For any one claim We will not make or pay for repairs costing more than the current vehicle valuation as listed in Glass’s Guide.
We are not responsible for any mistakes or incorrect information We provided about the nature or value of this warranty nor for continuation of cover in the event that We cease to trade.
We may use or insist that Your Approved Repairer uses exchanged or reconditioned parts or like-for- like parts of a similar make, quality and wear.
If the part to be replaced has some wear, or the replacement part improves the general condition or value of the Vehicle, You will have to pay an amount towards the replacement part.
This non-insured warranty and the terms and conditions, detailed herein, is a guarantee between You, the warranty holder, and the Vehicle distributor (CarSupermarket.com), who provided the Vehicle and this associated warranty.
This warranty will automatically terminate on whichever of the following happens first:
• the date on which the warranty expires as per your Period of Cover; or
• You cease to be a resident within the Territorial Limits; or
• the Vehicle no longer meets the eligibility requirements; or
• the conditions of this warranty are not met; or
• the Vehicle is sold to a motor dealer or trader;
• Contact a CarSupermarket.com dealership, preferably the supplying dealer, contact details are in section 10.
The above procedures do not affect Your statutory rights as a consumer.
It is a condition of this CarSupermarket.com Warranty that Your Vehicle must be serviced in accordance with either the CarSupermarket.com or the manufacturer’s recommended service schedule for the particular make, type, and age of Vehicle.
• If the Vehicle has full-service history, You must continue to service the Vehicle in line with the manufacturer’s specifications.
• If You are unsure as to when to get Your Vehicle serviced, You will be able to find the schedule in Your Vehicle document, otherwise, You can always call Your supplying dealer.
• For completion of a service, We allow a maximum of 1,000 miles or a maximum of 4 weeks’ tolerance either side of the stipulated time. Failure to service Your Vehicle in accordance with this requirement and provide proof that the above service schedule has been completed, may invalidate, and terminate this CarSupermarket.com Warranty.
WARNING: Timing belts (otherwise known as camshaft drive belts).
• If Your Vehicle has a timing belt, please make sure that it is in good condition and that it is checked and changed in line with the manufacturer’s recommendations. If the timing belt breaks it can cause serious and unnecessary engine damage and inconvenience. No responsibility will be accepted for damage caused by the failure of a worn-out timing belt unless the timing belt has been replaced in accordance with the manufacturer’s service schedule.
You should contact Your supplying dealer in the first instance. If Your Vehicle was delivered to you, then please contact the Delivery Support team.
Barnsley 01226 395377
Birmingham 0121 5084343
Grimsby 01472 253050
Hessle 01482 647722
Hull 01482 585058
Lincoln 01522 844158
Newcastle 0191 6919060
Preston 01772 429377
Scunthorpe 01724 749977
Sheffield 0114 3494696
Stoke 01782 480240
Delivery Support 01482 567257
How to make a complaint
We hope that You will be pleased with the service We provide. In the unlikely event of a complaint, in the first instance You should contact the supplying dealer who provided this CarSupermarket.com Warranty.
If Your supplying dealer is unable to provide a satisfactory solution, please contact Us:
• Email [email protected] or;
• in writing to Customer Service Department, CarSupermaket.com, Bridge Haven One, Saxon Way, Hessle, East Yorkshire, HU13 0TP
• How We use and protect any information that you give to us when you interact with us through any channel including over the phone, in our showrooms, through our website, customer services, servicing departments, social media or otherwise is set out here https://www.carsupermarket.com/privacy-policy.
You must not act in a fraudulent way. If You or anyone acting for You:
• makes a claim under the warranty knowing the claim to be false or exaggerated in any way; or
• makes a statement in support of a claim knowing the statement to be false in any way; or
• sends any documentation in support of a claim knowing the documentation to be forged or false in any way; or
• makes a claim for any loss caused by Your deliberate act or with Your agreement
• will not consider Your claim.
• may declare the warranty void.
• will be entitled to recover from You the amount of outlay for an authorised repair.
• may let the police know about the circumstances.
This warranty, unless We have agreed otherwise, is governed by English Law and the exclusive jurisdiction of the courts of England.
All communication between You and Us will be conducted in English.
There has never been a better time to sell or part-ex your car